Perhaps the most obvious...most diet advice is BULLSHIT. Why does everything have to be so fucking complicated? For example:
1. Don't eat after a certain time...why? why not? do you really think your body knows what fucking time it is? what if you are on an international flight and you are crossing time zones? Oh, it is relative to when you sleep you say? Well do you think that your body does a better job of burning off an extra 2000 calories a day if you eat them in the morning because you will be awake all day? You are still eating 2000 extra calories! Moron.
I say, eat whenever you want, just don't eat so fucking much! Operating at a calorie deficit is stressful enough, limiting yourself to times of fucking day is asinine.
2. If you eat too little, your body will think you are starving and you won't lose weight. Right, and if I keep spending money my bank account will 'think' I have the funds available and I will never be overdrawn! What kind of fucking retarded, backwards logic is this? This is called, 'Some guy who makes money off of you being fat made this shit up and you bought it hook, line, and sinker.'
I say, if you don't eat too much you will lose weight. It may be true that you lose some muscle and that could potentially result in using fewer calories, but you are going to use fewer calories hauling around your lighter ass...that is why weight loss slows! No one gains weight from a calorie deficit, do you know what happens when you don't eat enough for extended periods of time? You fucking die a very skinny person.
3. Drink lots of water, don't drink soda, not even diet soda. Fuck you! I love diet soda and I ain't giving it up. I still think that you can drink so much water that you expand your stomach and you will feel less full once your stomach drains, I can't prove it, but think about what happens when you fill up a balloon (your stomach) with lots of water. 'Nuff said.
I say, bottom line, if it helps you cope with the calorie deficit, and it doesn't add calories to your diet, you can drink it.
4. You must eat the macronutrients (carbs, fats, proteins) in a certain proportion. This includes the idea of eliminating all of something, fats, carbs, etc. I did Atkins. I was successful when I stayed on it, but why? I was eating meats and high fat foods that helped me stay full. I lost some weight because I ate fewer calories, I got motivated and I started to move more, I kept eating fewer calories than I needed and lost weight.
I say, eating macronutrients a certain way can help to stave off hunger, which in turn allows you to eat fewer calories and operate at the deficit that is required to lose weight. If it helps you lose weight and cope, fine, then do it, but don't be fooled. You are eating fewer calories than you use, and that is why you are losing weight.
5. You can't eat THIS (fast food, junk food, high-carb, high-fat) food. Bite me! Why not? If I eat nothing but two Burger King Whoppers per day (at 800 calories each) guess what will happen? I will lose fucking weight because my current body weight probably requires about 2500 calories a day to remain constant.
"Devil" foods tend to be categorized as such because they provide very little nutritional value when compared to the number of calories they add to your plate, but if they taste good and help you stay on your diet, then who cares? Take a vitamin and eat your Ding Dongs all day. If you can eat fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis and still feel full eating junk food, then eat junk food and you will lose weight. But if they don't make you feel full, then it will never work.
Oh, there are so many others, but I want to move on to what I actually did to lose the weight so far. To sum up, I ATE LESS AND MOVED MORE.
-I did not eliminate ANY foods. During this loss I have had pizza, ribs, ice cream, potato chips (at least 12 individual bags in this month), Burger King Whoppers and chili on french fries (only half a sandwich at time and half an order of fries at a time), at least 20 sausage biscuits with egg from McDonald's for breakfast (I felt fuller all day when having a high fat breakfast, having biscuits allowed me to have nothing but oatmeal, apples, and yogurt throughout the rest of the day), Subway chicken subs, macaroni and cheese, and tons of diet coke and diet sierra mist.
-I tried to walk or ride my bike every single day. I walked in the rain with an umbrella, I rode the bike at a leisurely pace for long periods. Any errands that were within 1.5 miles from my house, I walked.
-I had lots of vigorous sex. Probably not a 'significant' factor, but fun as hell to do and fun to throw in there as an accomplishment!
-I learned to embrace being hungry. I thought of being hungry as a good thing...being hungry meant that I was losing weight.
-Knowing that I eat when I am bored, I tended to 'save up' my calories for the evening when I am bored. I regularly ate a fatty breakfast, fasted all day at work, and at 1/2 to 3/4 of the calories for my whole day in the evening. That worked for me because that is when I eat. Not sure if this really made a difference, but I did make it a point to eat in smaller portions. I usually had two small dinners spaced out by a few hours rather than one big dinner. I probably ate less at the second dinner than I would have had if I ate it all in one sitting because my body had time to digest and feel full.
-If I felt bad about eating I would go for a walk, or even take a nap. Anything to not feel bad and not feel hungry.
I hope to continue losing weight despite the 'end' of the contest. I would like to get down to about 210 or 220 and maintain that. I have a feeling I will still think I am 'fat' because I have been those weight before, and I felt fat, but in the long run I am much better off being 20 pounds over weight than 60. Plus, I might be able to shop for regular clothes instead of fatty threads.